LINQ to SQL bug

Came across an annoying bug in LINQ to SQL today. I have a process that uploads orders to a supplier service via the web. The process used work fine before I moved to LINQ to SQL.. now for some reason it wasn’t updating the order state.

I checked and rechecked my code – I had a loop that ran

 order.SetStatusAsSent()

Stepping thru the code I could see this had the simple code

  Me.OrderStateID = 2 ‘ 2 represents the order state ‘sent’
  Me.OtherInfo = "Order sent"

Problem was that it wasn’t saving the OrderStateID change. I had a .SubmitChanges statement right after the loop.. but examining the SQL I see it only updated the OtherInfo field.

I eventually figured out (after some headscratching) that because I had loaded the related object to the OrderStateID – which is a foreign key field – using DataLoadOptions – it was ignoring the change.

I changed the code to load the related object thus:

  Dim newState = db.OrderStates.Single(Function(s) s.OrderStateID=2
  Me.OrderState = newState
  Me.OtherInfo = "OrderSent"

Now the code works as expected. A nasty one!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s