WSUS update error 80072EE2 solved (at last)

I have a WSUS server set up on my network (with several physical and virtual machines it saves a lot of bandwidth!), but on some systems I was unable to update and constantly had the error code 80072EE2.

If you search on the web you find other people with similar errors. I’d tried various solutions but none worked. Then today I found this useful WSUS client check script. Running this script allows you to check the WSUS-related settings on any machine (even remotely, which is cool and saves a lot of time!).

As soon as I ran this I found the cause of the problem: I had previously used WSUS (about two years ago!) on a different server, and some of the clients had the old server name set as the WSUS server in the registry folder HKLM/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate – the values for WUServer and WUStatusServer were set to the old server name, which was no longer in existence. A quick change and a long-running problem was solved.

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “WSUS update error 80072EE2 solved (at last)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s